Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Honey Ginger & Soy Lettuce Wraps (crockpot style)

I'm sure you have been there. I invited a friend to drop by after work for a bite and hockey game... I then said to myself: awe shit, now I have to make something. I decided to "do research on pintrest".... which really meant 20 pins and 30 mins later, I remembered what I was REALLY looking for. :)

I can't seem to find the original recipe that inspired this creation, but I opted for an easy clean up version and used the ol' crockpot.

You can easily add or eliminate items from your wrap, whatever suit your taste buds. For example, I have added to mine fresh mango, pickled ginger, thin vermicelli noodles and additional Saracha (but only when I'm feeling like a baddass).

Here's what you need (basic recipe):

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
(season with black pepper and slightly brown)
1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tbs rice wine vinegar
3 cloves of minced garlic (incase you haven't notice, I like garlic)
1 tbs water
1 tbs Saracha hot sauce...aka "the new ketchup"
1 tbs onion powder
1 tsp sesame oil
1.5 tbs corn starch (add in final 20 mins)
1/4 cup water (to mix with cornstarch)
top with 2 tsp sesame seeds
Lettuce...I used the romaine I had on hand
(Bib lettuce is best, fyi)





Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season in black pepper


In a medium bowl combine ingredients except water, cornstarch and sesame seeds

Pour over chicken and cook on low for 4 hours

Then in a small bowl dissolve cornstarch + water and add to crockpot stirring well

Cover and cook on high for 15 mins


Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds

Serve in lettuce...apparently bib lettuce is the best to use though I had romaine in my fridge.

I appreciate your posts and comments about the blog, including the recipes you've tried. I'm having fun and can't wait to get grillin'.




No comments:

Post a Comment